Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Creamy White Chili

I totally stole this picture from my sister's recipe blog, and I got the recipe there, too. I am awful about remembering to take pictures of my food, but trust me, my soup looked just like this--I didn't garnish mine with cilantro, though. :)

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 can Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn, drained
1 can chicken broth
1 can chopped green chilies
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon chili pepper
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup whole milk

In a large saucepan, add chicken, beans, corn, broth, chilies and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and milk. Serve immediately. Good with tortilla chips or corn bread and a side salad. Makes about 3-4 servings.

Alterations
I didn't have ground cumin or garlic powder, so I altered the seasonings quite a bit. Instead of the seasonings in the recipe, I put 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt, 1 1/4 teaspoons chili pepper, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and NO salt. I've made this twice now, and the second time I didn't have green chilies, so I put in a bit of salsa instead. This worked just fine, though I would recommend the green chilies. Also, the second time I cut the amount of sour cream in half, and the soup was still delicious--just a little less creamy.

The Verdict
Oh so yummy and flavorful. I've made this two weeks in a row and we're still not sick of it. I'm pretty sure I'll make this at least once, if not twice, a month throughout the winter. The soup is a little bit spicy and very creamy. It's extremely filling and I think it would be hard to mess up. Make this soon! You'll like it!

No comments: